This week, Governor Abbott issued Executive Order GA-21. Executive Order GA-21 is effective immediately and will continue through May 19, 2020. Some highlights to note about GA-21 :
- Texans, except where necessary to provide or obtain an essential service or a reopened service, should continue to minimize social gatherings and in person contact with those who are not in the same household.
- People over the age of 65 are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible. Individuals are encouraged to avoid contact with those 65 and older.
- Those who do leave the home, whether young or old, should implement social distancing and good hygiene
- Essential Services include those listed under CISA guidance as well as churches, congregations, and places of worship
- Reopened Services consist of the following:
- In-store retail at 25% occupancy (25% does not include employees)
- Dine-in at restaurants at 25% occupancy (no occupancy limit on outside seating; 25% does not include employees)
- Movie theaters at 25% occupancy (25% does not include employees)
- Shopping malls at 25% occupancy (food court, play areas, and interactive displays must remain closed) (25% does not include employees)
- Museums and libraries at occupancy of 25% (25% does not include employees)
- Golf course operations
- Local government operations
- Services provided by one individual in an office setting (note this will be expanded on Monday, May 18th)
- Wedding venues and services required to conduct weddings, subject to either the guidelines on churches (if held in a church) or at 25% of indoor occupancy (if held indoors at a non-church). Note, it is strongly encouraged to hold weddings outside
- Wedding receptions, subject to the guidelines on restaurants (if held at a restaurant) or subject to 25% of indoor capacity (if held indoors). Again, strongly encouraged to hold outside.
Starting on Friday, May 8, 2020 the following will be opened :
- Cosmetology salons, hair salons, barber shops, and nail salons may open but should follow guidelines set forth in Open Texas
- Tanning Salons may open but should follow guidelines set forth in Open Texas
- Swimming pools may operate if outdoor or indoor but must follow occupancy levels set forth
Starting on Monday, May 18, 2020 the following will be opened :
- Services provided in an office may operate with the greater of five individuals or 25% of the total office workforce
- Non-essential manufacturing [services] at 25% occupancy
- Gyms and exercise facilities and classes, whether indoor, outdoor, individual, or group, at a 25% occupancy
Please note these specific businesses are NOT permitted to reopen : People shall avoid visiting bars , massage establishments, tattoo studios, piercing studios, sexually oriented businesses, or interactive amusement venues such as bowling alleys , video arcades , amusement parks , water parks , or splash pads , unless they are specifically added as a reopened service by proclamation or future executive order of the governor.