In light of the increased layoffs and high volume of unemployment benefits applications being submitted as a result of COVID-19, please review TWC’s guidelines for Mass Claim Requests below.
TWC’s Mass Claims program streamlines the unemployment benefit claims process for employers facing temporary or permanent layoffs. To ensure employees receive their unemployment benefits as quickly as possible, employers can initiate claims on behalf of their workers by submitting basic information in advance of the layoff. Please note that in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, TWC has waived the requirement that Mass Claims Requests be submitted at least five days prior to the planned layoff.
Employers who have not yet laid off staff but need to can still log on to Employer Benefits Services (EBS) and submit their Mass Claim Request here: https://www.twc.texas.gov/businesses/employer-benefits-services
Businesses that have already initiated layoffs as a result of COVID-19 cannot use EBS to submit a Mass Claim. If the layoff date has already passed and affected 10 or more employees, the employer must fill out and submit Mass Claims document manually by:
- Completing the Mass Claims Spreadsheet: https://www.twc.texas.gov/files/businesses/mass-claims-spreadsheet-twc.xlsx
- Completing the Mass Claims Agreement Letter: https://www.twc.texas.gov/files/businesses/mass-claims-agreement-letter- twc.docx
- Emailing the completed documents to TWC’s Mass Claims Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org along with the following information:
- Company name, address, phone number, and TWC Tax Account Number
- The layoff date and how many employees were affected
We understand the challenges and difficult staffing decisions this pandemic has created for employers and appreciate their patience as TWC’s Mass Claims department works to process requests as quickly as possible.
TWC and EBS are experiencing a significantly high volume of webpage users as a result of COVID-19, creating delays and outages for visitors attempting to access the unemployment benefit application system. Those experiencing issues with the site are asked to refresh the page or try again later as TWC works through the process of dramatically expanding their server capacity in order to meet the uptick in demand.
You can view all of the resources that TWC has made available for employers and job seekers throughout this public health crisis by visiting twc.texas.gov and clicking on the red banner at the top of the page.